Saturday, January 15, 2011
Throne Makeover (DIY) and The Dancing Queen (Photo Essay)
"Nope, he says. I just thought maybe you needed it. Its practically brand new. I can't stay and have a beer. I'm walking my dog and left her hitched-up outside."
Well, my Queen Bee had heard the conversation. Just as the guy turns to go back out the door she says, "Yes, we need a toilet seat in the lady's room." You know how women know stuff like that.
Ten minutes doesn't go by and I have a brand new toilet seat delivered to the bar. Groan.
Some unknown force had cracked the front edge of the throne so, the Queen used duct tape or double-sided carpet tape, whatever, to repair it. How long has it been that way? It may have been a few weeks, months, or even years. I haven't had any reason to use the Lady's crapper and nobody ever complained to me about it being broken.
In the Okinawan culture duct tape fixes everything. Leaky pipes, electrical shorts, screen doors and autobody parts with holes poked in them, leaky roofs, runs in nylons, antenna and satellite dishes and broken windows or bones, whatever needs fixin' an Okinawan can handle it, just give them a roll of tape and get out of the way. It'll get fixed.
When the new throne seat showed up, the Queen proudly displayed it behind the bar. I told her to put the thing away somewhere and I'd fix the crapper, sometime when the bar was closed.
So, she stuffed it in a cabinet behind the bar and I forgot about it until last week.
The landlord came in one night. He was all dressed up in a suit, pleasantly inebriated, smiling, singing and buying everybody drinks. In the past ten years, I don't think I've ever seen him that happy. It was all good. Everyone was having fun until the broken throne seat came up again.
The wife starts telling the landlord he has to fix the toilet in the lady's room. I wouldn't even have known what the conversation was about if I hadn't seen the Queen reach down and pull the new throne seat out of the cabinet to show the landlord.
And, you should've seen the frown on the poor guy's face as he's asking, "What's wrong with the women's toilet seat that's in there now"?
The wife goes on about where the thing is cracked. She mimicks a knucklehead wrapping tape around the lip of the throne. Then, starts goin off about how lady customers complain that their fur gets caught on the tape.
The Archie Bunker Syndrome kicked in. Somehow, I had to get her to Stifle herself .
So, I told the Queen Bee, "Please, leave the poor guy alone. I'll fix the throne in the lady's room. Leave the new crapper lid out where everbody can see it. Leave it where I'll trip over it, if you want to. I'll fix the thing first thing in the morning. I really don't think the landlord needs to hear any more about people's fur getting stuck on the tape you wrapped around the lady's throne"!
Displayed above, to give you an idea what the mechanical parts of the contraption look like, are the two nuts and bolts you will have to conquer. One for the left side and the other for the right side of the throne. The top of the bolts may be tackled with a wrench or a screwdriver, depending upon the where they were made. Mine had slots for a screwdriver. The plastic nuts on the bottom, I was able to twist on and off by hand; no tools required.
But, if you have a real antique throne, you may run across all metal components. That would require some wrenches and, maybe some penetrating oil.
Only a true commode hugger who just woke up, or plumber lying on his back would recognize this photo. I shot this with my cell phone just to give you an idea what it looks like under there.
There's really no need to lay down on the floor now that you've seen this. The nut is twisted up on to the bolt. The bolt was inserted through the china portion of the bowl from up above.
So, all you have to do is squat or kneel in front of the throne and reach up to find the nut and bolt. Twist the nut counterclockwise to remove it. Twist it clockwise to tighten it up. Some people remember the expression "Righty Tighty, Lefty Lucy (loose)".
If this instruction is too confusing, just practice watching the way the nuts and bolts screw on and off the new throne lid you bought and, soon enough, you'll be able to do it blindfolded !
Here's the Queen's almost-like-brand-new, madeover throne. Total Labor: About 10 minutes.
The colors don't match. Hey, did I say I was an interior decorator ? Total Cost: FREE !
Pretty much a supporter of all things green, I didn't want to see anything winding up in the landfill so, I saved all the old hardware and the lid from the queen's broken throne; never know when they might come in handy.
Then, I took a marking pen and wrote some words on the old, cracked throne seat. It was payday for all the Americans from the base nearby. I waited until it started getting dark outside. Then, I walked across the street and hung it on a fencepost where the lights from an American-style bar shined on it.
When I came back in this morning, I saw, SOME REDNECK STOLE THE DANG THING !
The way I look at it, things turned out pretty good last night. My Throne Makeover got the Angry Queen Bee off the landlord's back, plus a whole swarm of queens and a few princesses showed up singing and drinking until the wee hours of the morning.
When my Dancing Queen gets in just the right mood, she puts a full bottle of sake on her head and can do some kinda Okinawan boot scootin boogie without spillin a drop.
I guess I should do DIY stuff around this place a little more often.